Monday 11 January 2010

2010 is here!

Almost four weeks have passed since I last wrote, which leaves barely ten left before we move to Belgie...

First off though, merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all!

Last time I wrote the weather forecast wasn't looking too good, and for once, they seemed to get it right. I'm sure you've noticed the mercury hasn't crept much above zero since then, and the persistent cold has brought more snow than is humorous. That said, I have taken to mountain biking to beat the snow, and despite being absolute rubbish at it, I love it! It's certainly hard work, but good training for the bike handling and upper body. So while it's not ideal, I'm getting by.

The one warm day since last time happened to be Boxing Day, so having received special dispensation from my manager to race, off to Hillingdon I went. Which turned out to be handy since I was desperate to race, and our first official race was meant to be Saturday just gone. I'm sure you can guess, it was called off! So if not for Boxing Day I'd be waiting for the 7th Feb, by then I really would have been desperate. So my last ride in orange was fairly anonymous. Pinning a number on in the middle of winter to race against guys who are competing for a £600 series prize, was quite a shock to the system. Once the main protagonists had left the bunch, I settled into the race with the new found knowledge that not turning a pedal in anger in three months has sapped all but the last dregs of speed from my legs! But, with my parents out watching I felt compelled to at least make the effort in the final, so with a couple of laps to go I got across to the chase group and out sprinted all but one of them to take 8th, not bad, but not all that great either! C'est la vie, it was only ever to be a bit of fun, and I did enjoy the race at least. And burning 1,300 calories in 70mins on Boxing Day can't be a bad thing can it!


We now have a provisional race calendar in place, so I will post up some highlights soon. Of particular note, we have gained a place in the Rás Mumhan in Ireland at Easter. Having ridden this event last year, to go back with my own team will be awesome. It is certainly going to be my first major target of 2010...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment