Thursday 26 November 2009

Nobody Said It Was Easy

Almost at the close of my first 4-week block of training, and it's hardly been all plain sailing. There was of course the knee troubles in the early part, and now since last Sunday, my first cold of the 09/10 winter. I'm hoping it'll be the last too. Sunday's squad ride was never going to be all that enjoyable, after my work at the Chalk Lane Hotel dragged on until the small hours. Not much more that 4 hours is far from ideal when you have a 4 hour ride on the cards. Added to this, as the ride got into it's third hour the weather closed in. Squally (!) showers accompanied by strong winds and a falling temperature left me in a state of mild hypothermia! I was not in a good place. After showering we had our usual post ride workshop on goal setting, I'd warmed up a little, but was far from ok as it later transpired. A rough nights sleep left me feeling really groggy come Monday, which developed into a cold by Tuesday, and it's still hampering me now. Still, who said this life is easy?

More encouragingly, we did meet our new sponsor this last Sunday. Jim Chisman, importer of Flanders Frames from Belgium. Jim has very kindly offered to provide us with frames and clothing for the coming season, for which we are of course, extremely grateful. So the plan is for the three of us moving to Belgium, i.e Josh Cunningham, James Bowtell and myself are to ride for a newly formed team, called Flanders Racing. Our new jerseys should look pretty similar to the picture above, but as soon as I receive it I'll post up some proper pictures that aren't lifted from the Flanders Fietsen website! Essentially for us there is little change, our calendar will be largely unaffected by the change in jersey, and we will be continuing to train with the OneLife Development Squad as usual. Jim is also pledging support to them also, so you will see the Flanders logo on their kit too. Some of you will have known the Pacific Flanders RT of a few seasons past, we are effectively picking up where they left off. So the old website at http://www.pacificracing.co.uk/ will in time be renamed and become our own new website.

So now I have the nice problem of which frame size to choose! As I mentioned before I am somewhat obsessive when it comes to position, so I want to be absolutely sure of the right size! To this end I am currently drawing up each relevant frame size in order to ascertain which size is best for me, geeky, I know! The 'Pro Team', as shown above and what we are hoping to receive has relatively straightforward geometry, the other options though are a little more tricky, if like me you are a freak! By this I mean of course that your body is not exactly proportioned of course! My trouble being I have long legs, but a short body and arms... Anyhow, I'm told the frames are of excellent quality, and I certainly can't wait to get to find out for myself. They are race proven over the years by a string of professional and amateur teams in Belgium. Jim hopes to have the frames to us by the exiting side of Christmas, so fingers crossed you'll see me out on my Flanders frame very soon. As I posted before, check out http://www.flandersfietsen.be/ for more information on the bikes and the shop.


The best part about this latest development is that it gives us another contact to call upon in Belgium. I don't think the enormity of moving to a foreign country has escaped any of us, so to have friendly bike shop with easy reach will be of enormous benefit to us. Flanders Fietsen is the shop that the frames come from, and is situated less than 40km away from our house (pictured above). Jim assures us that they will be able to help us out with any problems with our bikes should there be any, but more likely just give us a hand with some of the mechanical things that often go wrong. Now I'm an ok mechanic, but I cant fix a snapped mech hanger! So things like that will be no problem with this back-up. In addition to this, and most importantly of all. The shop is a key supporter to a top amateur team based in Oudenaarde, just 10km from us, called Asfra RT. So there may be opportunities to ride for them if we progress in the correct manner, which will be an excellent stepping stone in our development. Just being associated with them through the shop may be a benefit in itself. 2010 really is looking full of promise just now. Finally, the three amigo's have finally set a date to go and visit our new landlord and see our house in Belgium, the 12th & 13th of December. So watch this space for further details of the house, and a better picture than the dodgy camera phone variety above!

No comments:

Post a Comment