Wednesday 11 March 2009

Orangemen

Wow, it's been a month since I last wrote. Things have been pretty crazy. So last time I'd just ridden and crashed out of the Perf's... not happy. Well almost immeadiately after that things got even worse. On the Wednesday (11/2) I was just returning from training, literally about 5km away from my house, when... bang! I was approaching a bend that has a little side road off of it, a car coming towards me had pulled up waiting to turn into the road. I proceeded as normal assuming he'd seen me, then right as it was too late he just cut across me and I had nowhere to go. I went up onto the bonnet, then the roof, then fell down the same side and his rear wheel ran right over my foot. Ouch. So that's three times I've been hit by cars in just inside a year. Not amused. There was a fair amount of damage, to me at least. My bike, the one pictured in the previous post in the snow is now dead, and physically I'm still having a bit of trouble with my back almost a month later. Although suprisingly my foot came away unscathed despite a huge Jaguar running over it. Ironically the driver was an consultant orthopoedic surgeon from Ashtead Hospital, I suppose for the ongoing legal proceedings its best I dont name names.

Anyway, moving on. So the big reason for such a delay in me posting is university work really getting on top of me. For now at least I'm back on terms a bit. In the mean time I've had another couple of sessions at the Calshot Velodrome down near Southampton. It is official, I'm no trackie, and nor do I even really like it! Its a good job I've got out of doing the Good Friday Track Meeting at Herne Hill as I'll be taking a pasting in Ireland instead! So here I am pretending to be a track rider, on the boards at Calshot. I'm not sure if you can see, but I'm definately not smiling! It didn't help that I was really hurting at times too, the injury to my lower back was really causing trouble. It meant that I could barely push on the pedals at all. For a few of the disciplines I was getting dropped by riders who really shouldn't be dropping me. I had to sit out for some of the session as I just couldn't physically do them.

I'm a little better now though, and last Sunday saw the real start to my season. Along with my team mates Jason (pictured with me above, chatting to Simon McNamara (Wildside 707), whom i'll be riding the Rás Mumhan with at Easter) and Gyles, I made the journey up to deepest Essex to ride the Jock Wadley Memorial. Jock Wadley was probably the finest British cycling journalist ever, he covered 19 Tours de France and became more well known among the peloton than many French journalists. He was also known for encouraging and actively aiding young talented riders to take the risk of getting away from the cosy pool of British racing to try to break into the pro continental scene. At the time crossing the Channel to live your racing life seemed as daunting as swimming the blessed thing. Several well known British riders made the grade to some degree with his knowledgeable encouragement, best known being Tom Simpson. And those who followed subsequently,up to the present, have doubtless benefitted from those pioneers' experience and confidence-building effect. As a result, this race is hotly contested, down on the start list today were four past winners and many of the country's best domestic riders. It was never going to be easy.

I'm not sure my english is good enough to put into words just how hard this race was. The course itself is flat or rolling, but it is extremely exposed, and with two crossings of the Abberton reservoir. Any wind would make it tough, but it just so happened it was one of the windiest days the race has had for a good few years. It was a day to become intimately aquainted with the gutters. As a result there were crashes, although thankfully none looked too major, and luckily I avoided them all. Right from the start it was clear I was really only going to be able to follow. My bunch positioning and handling skills just aren't up to the standard they need to be at for the top level yet, meaning I was forced to ride much of the race from the back. According to my coach, this makes the feat of finishing all the more impressive, I'm not so sure though! A few times I was distanced, but each time I would fight my way back on, with the commisaires car breathing down my neck eager to move past me and consign me to the broom wagon. For a long time it was touch and go whether I'd make it to the finish, but as each kilometre ticked off I began to realise I'd make it. I really can't explain how windy it was, I've really never raced in such conditions, it was a real learning curve. Each time we approached the reservoir sections it was a battle to try and find some shelter behind another rider, but essentially the race spent a lot of the time in one long line! Eventually, after 149km (not the 134 it was billed as), I reached the finish at the rear of what was the second main group on the road, 6 minutes behind the winner. It was only the second time I have raced over that sort of distance, so it was good from that point of view, its something I have to get used to. I was placed joint 34th with a few others (judges quite often get bored and give up placing riders properly so just group riders together...) of 45 finshers. 80 started, it was carnage out there. It was a real quality field, so I can't be too disapointed with the result, especially as both Jason and Gyles threw in the towel about half way through the race. But I definately have more to give. This weekend see's the team hit the 50th Wally Gimber Memorial (yes there are a lot of memorials!), this is equally as high profile as the Jock Wadley, but the start sheet is not quite so hardcore. With 7 of us in the race we should be up there, so watch this space.


That'll do for now, I'll write again after the Wally... Oh, also, you may notice the new orange kit... fresh out the box on Saturday the team debuted it in 3 different races on Sunday. Us three in Essex, then Josh lead some of the others in Surrey for the opening Surrey League road race. He only just missed the win, coming in an excellent 2nd. Meanwhile some of the juniors were taking a similar battering to myself over in Belgium. The kit is great, its such good quality. I was a bit sceptical riding in brand new shorts for 100 miles plus, but they are the most comfy shorts I have ridden in by far. The Jock Wadley organiser himself even commented, ''you must have the girls swinging from lamp posts when you put on that kit'' Thankfully Essex's finest left me be, but hopefully he'll prove right at some point! It also makes it really easy to find your team mates in the bunch too, which was partly the idea. Plus, it's different, it stands out, it's like Garmin-Slipstreams Argyle, only cooler!

No comments:

Post a Comment