Wednesday 28 January 2009

Lanterne Rouge

The Red Lantern. The term originates from the Tour de France, the last rider to roll into Paris. It has therefore, like so many other Tour de France particulars, been enshrined into cycling culture. It is derived from the historical practice of hanging a scarlet light on the caboose of trains, which let station operators know that none of the cars had come uncoupled. The title is no insult. It’s an outright accolade: The guy who sticks out the suffering and indignities of the Tour despite being a good three hours off the podium is almost as much of a hero as the man who climbs atop the podium. Above is the Tour's only three time Lanterne Rouge, Belgian, Wim Vansevenant. Seen here collecting bidons (water bottles) as part of his role as a domestique (riders whose sole purpose is to support and work for the team leaders, the unsung heroes of professional cycling). A vauguely amusing quip from an American cycling blog I found regarding lanternes rouge says:

''It is, in fact, those who comprehend the complexities of victory — those who can understand how abject defeat can be a triumph — who make the best Lanternes Rouge. We Americans, with our culturally instilled upward mobility and win-at-all-costs drive, have never even come close to the purest loss.''

If you have reached this far you are probably starting to wonder what on earth I am on about! Well let me tell you, as you know last Saturday me and my InGear team mates made our second outing to Hillingdon for round 10 of the Imperial Winter Series. Before the race we were all full of optimism, having been conjuring up plans of dramtic break aways during the previous week, we were all 100% motivated. Looking back now, there was perhaps an omen in the result of the first race of the day. My team mate Jay required only 4th place to ensure promotion, he got 5th. It was going to be a day of frustration.

Onto our race and to begin with, things were going well. I felt good, and was covering all the early breaks. I even got in the first serious move that went, a big group of around 15 riders. Only, the two standout series leaders Jerone Walters (Sigma Sport) and Chris Moores (Norwood Paragon) were not present, so the move was never going to succeed. By this point I was feeling a bit lonely at the front as apart from Josh, I hadn't seen any of the rest of my team at the front yet. Eventually a break did force itself clear, bit by bit. It soon became clear that there were 16 guys up the road, and only 2 InGear riders a part of the group. Now initially I thought Josh was up there, so I gave the word not to chase to a couple of my other team mates. Then Josh appereared in the bunch! So the two guys we had up the road, were going to struggle to get a result from that group. So we had to chase, but by this point the gap was over a minute, which is a long time on a short circuit like that where it's difficult to orchestrate a chase. Unfortunately, with my team spread about the pack, getting everyone to the front was never going to happen. Eventually frustration got the better of me and I blasted off the front for a half-hearted attempt at getting across on my own. Ultimately though, the race was over, and I knew it. So I had to console myself by chatting to a friend of mine, Phil Sheehan (Finchley RT), at the back of the bunch and contest for the lanterne rouge! I couldn't even manage that, I finished 68th of 70, Phil took the honours.

Anyhow, after all that Sunday was a much better day. Apart from the drizzly rain, Sarah and I had a great time ice-skating in the rather luxurious surroundings of Somerset House in London. It has now closed for another year, but I would definately reccomend a visit. It's not a massive rink, and it's not all that cheap, but for surroundings I don't think you can beat it. We did see one casualty of the evening though, one poor girl ending her session in the back of an ambulance. Not good. My manager Alan was relieved when I text him to let him know I managed to stay upright and not pick up any injuries!! After which he informed me that Josh and I will be returning to Hillingdon this coming Saturday to try to put down a more respectable performance before we ride the real season opener, the Perf's Pedal Race a week on Sunday. Both Josh and I were seriously annoyed after the race on Saturday, as we're both going well right now, and it was such a disappointing result. With this in mind, Alan thought it best we go up there again and get rid of some of our frustrations before the real racing begins. With just two of us in the race we should be able to make sure we're up at the front when it matters this time. We're both more than capable of winning the race, the challenge is to make sure we at least arrive at the finish in a suitable position from which to contest for the victory. So, fingers crossed. Of course, it is only Hillingdon, we're both going there off the back of a week of hard training. So if it's our legs that deny us, that's ok. There is, as they say, much bigger fish to fry...

1 comment: